Verse of the Day

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Grandchildren are a crown

I had the blessing of watching three precious grandchildren this evening.

We, as a family have a kettle corn and funnel cake set-up that we take to markets and festivals.  We have not done it too much this year as we transition into a different routine with oldest son working and middle son learning to pop.  Our event tonight was local and involved fireworks which the two year old grandchild is not very fond of, so I suggested to my daughter that I stay here and she go and work along side her hubby and siblings.  She took over my job in front of the fryer doing the funnel cakes.

I found it very relaxing to do what I used to do with my little ones (although I never had three under the age of 4  :o) ;Saturday supper and bath night.  I haven't been needed to help bath my children for a long time!  Although I was a little tired and the back needed a little stretching I had all three bathed and in jammies in no time.  I loved every minute - and of course had to allow play time in the tub as well for each, even the 11 month old loves to sPlAsH in the tub.  It was peaceful and comfortable - like putting on a favorite sweatshirt in the cool of the fall.  I love being a "Grammy".

Moments like these used to cause some pain and grief but lately I have noticed that the Lord has done even more healing - that healing by degrees that goes unnoticed for a time.  I would find myself being sad as I wondered what if hubby were here - what would he think of this little one, how would he fit into this night, into their life - I seem to no longer dwell on the "what if's" - it truly isn't of the Lord to do so but of my flesh and self-pity; I am thankful for this healing.  I had the blessing of seeing my late husband as a "Poppa" and I know he cherished it.  That is sufficient for the day, right?

I live for today with the Lord by my side, treasuring the moments with these little ones; knowing better than some that tomorrow is not promised to us.  I treasured washing hair, little dirty toes, wrapping them up in clean, fluffy towels, smelling their fresh hugs, singing to them as I laid them down, watching the thumbs go in and eyes get heavy.  Thank you Lord for tonight, for these moments, you are undeservedly good to me.

"Grandchildren are like a crown to the elderly, and the glory of children is their parents."
Proverbs 17:6

Now, don't laugh at the elderly part, being a young Grammy is a benefit  ♥ (its okay to laugh)

1 comment:

Dad said...

I would never laugh at the elderly part because I am there and enjoy every moment of it when I am being Papaw and Papaw-Great

Love
Dad/Papaw/Papaw-Great.