Verse of the Day

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4

Friday, May 14, 2010

One flesh

One-Flesh Relationship
Day 117

A part of who you are is gone. Your identity is shaken to the very core. You wonder if you will ever feel normal again or if you will ever enjoy life again.

"When you lose a mate, you lose part of yourself," says Dr. Jim Conway. "It's as if you've had an amputation of an arm or a leg. I think that you don't really recover; you adjust, and the process of adjusting varies with every individual. There's no formula."

The pain that comes from the loss of a spouse is much deeper than most people realize because in a marital relationship two people become one flesh.

"The man said, 'This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called "woman," for she was taken out of man.' For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh" (Genesis 2:23-24).

When part of your flesh is abruptly taken away, there is a ripping and a tearing that leaves a huge, open wound.
*****
The above is through Griefshares daily email devotional service and provides 365 of them along with references to books and reviews. I didn't sign up for this right away, didn't even know of it's existence until a few months after losing my sweet hubby.
I copied this because it really struck me as being the closest description yet as to how I feel.....and I am pondering it tonight as I face another night of no sleep. I seem to go two good nights to one poor night......I still struggle to find where I fit in without my "other half". I do not feel normal, I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable with living without him as I will be adjusting as the above describes. Life continues.....and as a Bible believing, born again Christian I know that God is faithful and He is still at work in me and for me. None of this surprised Him, He is in control.
*****
I am finding joy in my life......God reveals it through my family and His creation daily and I thank Him for the sight to see it, the sight that comes from within.
****

No comments: