Romans 15:4:
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
*****
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
*****
I am finding great comfort in the Scriptures......early on, just days after losing my sweet prince a friend gave my girls and I journals - mine has this message written inside:
September 2009
My prayer is that you will use this journal to record your memories, thoughts and feelings, fears and anxieties, praises and meditations of worship, as you and the Lord walk through the time ahead.
My prayer is that you will use this journal to record your memories, thoughts and feelings, fears and anxieties, praises and meditations of worship, as you and the Lord walk through the time ahead.
One day, Lord willing, when you look back and read, these writings will testify of the Lord's continual presence and blessing in your life.
For His Glory,
*****
*****
This journal has been a source of release and truly is a record of what, thus far the Lord has done in my life during this valley. It has been three months and I have it filled 1/3 of the way. Just a few pages into it I wrote this: When feeling despair open the WORD and read!!!
*****
He is always there to strengthen and encourage us.....through perseverance in Him we gain understanding and He guides us to the places we need to be. His Word. There is a hymn I love and have sung in my heart and mind many, many times the past three months.
"I Need Thee Every Hour" Annie Hawks 1835-1918
Annie Hawks wrote:
One day as a young wife and mother of 37 years of age, I was busy with my regular household tasks. Suddenly, I became so filled with the sense of nearness to the Master that, wondering how one could live without Him, either in joy or pain, these words, “I Need Thee Every Hour,” were ushered into my mind, the thought at once taking full possession of me.
One day as a young wife and mother of 37 years of age, I was busy with my regular household tasks. Suddenly, I became so filled with the sense of nearness to the Master that, wondering how one could live without Him, either in joy or pain, these words, “I Need Thee Every Hour,” were ushered into my mind, the thought at once taking full possession of me.
~~~
After writing the lyrics, Hawks gave them to her pastor, Robert Lowry, who added the tune and refrain. The hymn was first published at the National Baptist Sunday School Convention in Cincinnati, Ohio, in November 1872. Some years later, after the death of her husband, Hawks wrote:
I did not understand at first why this hymn had touched the great throbbing heart of humanity. It was not until long after, when the shadow fell over my way, the shadow of a great loss, that I understood something of the comforting power in the words which I had been permitted to give out to others in my hour of sweet serenity and peace.
After writing the lyrics, Hawks gave them to her pastor, Robert Lowry, who added the tune and refrain. The hymn was first published at the National Baptist Sunday School Convention in Cincinnati, Ohio, in November 1872. Some years later, after the death of her husband, Hawks wrote:
I did not understand at first why this hymn had touched the great throbbing heart of humanity. It was not until long after, when the shadow fell over my way, the shadow of a great loss, that I understood something of the comforting power in the words which I had been permitted to give out to others in my hour of sweet serenity and peace.
~~~
I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
refrain
I need Thee, O I need Thee;Every hour I need Thee;
refrain
I need Thee, O I need Thee;Every hour I need Thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,I come to Thee.
I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.
refrain
I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
refrain
I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is in vain.
refrain
I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
refrain
I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.
refrain
I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
refrain
I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
O make me Thine indeed, Thou blessèd Son.
refrain
refrain
1 comment:
I too was given a journal shortly after my husband's death. I have filled out many more since then. The Psalms are such a source of strength and comfort; my mind could handle nothing else for a long time. Thank you for sharing the history of this song. One that I find myself turning to time and time again is "I Must Tell Jesus"
Post a Comment