I had a precious talk with my 10 year old tonight. It turned into haircutting night for all three boys.....I cut all of my childrens hair and had always cut hubbys hair. My oldest daughter says she'll never let anyone else cut her hair but we'll see.....for now I am free and convenient :)
******
I was in charge of the two youngest while my oldest had his wife cut his. Up first was the pickiest of them.....he sits down and I start. He is quiet so I ask him if any time of the day is hardest over another for missing Dad. He thinks and says that almost all the time is hard but that when he goes into the garage to get something or to work on something he misses him a lot. He also said that at supper he misses him more because he really feels his absence. I told him that I agreed.....that those things we did as a family are the hardest. Church, supper, Bible Study, weekends, plain and simple.
*******
I am thankful for these moments with my children. I am so thankful that God allows me to have them, that He creates them for me. Sometimes I feel inadequate, that there is just not enough of me to stretch to all of them, grandchildren included. I realize though that God has created family to be focused inwardly especially during times such as these.....we need to realize it is not out of selfishness but out of survival that we need these times. I wonder how many families spend Friday nights at home? I know we didn't always live this way.
*******
God didn't intend us to run here and there........to run three nights out of the week to three different sports for three different children never having time as a family unit. Having so many outside of the home activities or commitments that they leave us little time for one another.......I don't know how many times I have heard moms say they need "ME" time......I think we will get that enough once our kids are raised and out on their own. And if we trust in God to lead our days we will see that He gives us plenty of time for ourselves with Him and with others as we let Him use us as willing vessels. I have lived the BUSY life......and I have lived a QUIET life....I much prefer the quiet. I think it is important to remember that our children are a gift, a gift given by God......He doesn't say we are bad parents if our sons never play in little league or our daughters never become girl scouts (nothing against either of the two, they just popped in my head.....my son has played LL) Let God reveal what is important and then be BOLD enough to do what He leads you to do....... the world is always going to be knocking and wanting more and more of us and those we love.
^^^^^^^^
Ephesians 6:10-18 speaks of putting on the Armor of God........do you know and understand what that entails? Have you began teaching your children what that entails.....they can learn this at any age......even for young ones there are great, free, printable coloring sheets with diagrams of a Roman soldier and his armor and then one with the armor of God - the belt of Truth, the breast plate of Righteousness......take those moments that God wants you to have, don't lose those moments or forfeit them because Johnnie wants to play three sports next semester or you want to take just one more night class to get that Masters. Treasure your moments and honor God with them......pray for even MORE time to strengthen your family unit!
1 comment:
Thank you so much for sharing.
This part really grabbed my heart. "I realize though that God has created family to be focused inwardly especially during times such as these.....we need to realize it is not out of selfishness but out of survival that we need these times. I wonder how many families spend Friday nights at home?"
My husband was known by all to be a family man. His world focused around what we could do as a family. Being focused inwardly is stregthening and healing. It is helping each other through the yucks of life instead of each member trudging through it alone.
We have one extra curricular activity: church. If we get involved in all that church has going on, we'd stay busy enough.
Thanks for the reminder to remind the boys and teach them again about the Armour of God. I was sharing that with a friend this morning, but I need to remember my children need it just as much.
Thanks again for being an encouragement to me again.
Post a Comment