Verse of the Day

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Courage Road

My husband had his own office space at his place of employment - it was a spot of his choosing that he helped construct. It was very small and off in the back where he could have privacy if he was working on drawings as well as a spot where he could bring customers/clients back to in order to go over details of their house, addition or remodel, etc. depending on what they were doing.
******
After his funeral (on a Saturday)I told my oldest son; who worked at the same place that I wanted to go in Monday and clean out Dad's office. I told him that I knew they would need to get into there for certain things, jobs, bids, etc. and I didn't want to wait until it had been gone through or maybe even packed up FOR me. I asked if he would go with me (he took the whole next week off to be at home with his family and I) and he of course said yes.
*****
Monday arrived and my son and I went in - he called ahead to let his boss know we would be coming. We brought along a few boxes and began. My son gave me some time alone first, I went in and spoke to the employees then walked into the back, to his office.
*****
As you can imagine, it was very difficult. He was everywhere - we were everywhere - a picture of our children was taped to his computer monitor - from 2007 - pictures colored and drawn by our kids, a picture of O'deller; his handwriting was everywhere on notes, lists, his desk - his legal pads, blueprints, drawings.
*****
After a good, deep cry, I began. Sorting, reading, packing - oldest son came in and began to help. He found a box under the desk under the huge printer that his drawings/blueprints were printed out on - he went through it - lots of samples - countertop sample chains, siding samples, roof samples - and then he found a green Mead notebook and flipped through it......wasn't long and he said, "Mom, you need to read this." He handed it to me and I sat down, opened it and on the first page of the notebook I began to read my husbands handwriting.......there is no date, I have no idea when he wrote it - three pages of what I used to call his "epistles". They are so dear to me ...... his family and I all have teased him over the years that he could write like the Apostle Paul - he was, my sweet prince infamous for his epistles, written and spoken and his run-on sentences.
******
This is the very first part that I read and whenever it was written it was meant for me to read on that day for this journey in my life - God knew and He is faithful, I would like to share it with you.
******
"Courage is not the determination that it takes to get to the battlefield but the commitment to stay on the battlefield, even when it seems the battle is being lost. There are many more battlefields in life then just that of war, for all of life finds itself in the struggle and fight to survive. During this time when everything seems nearly impossible and the moral integrity of a people so lacking, it is easy to leave the weapons of war on the battlefield of life and run to the shadows where we believe we are safe from all harm. Unfortunately, the only thing this accomplishes is to leave those we love the most to suffer the effects of war alone and without our support. Courage is thereby, cowardice and integrity becomes dishonor. There is another way, a better alternative; a larger arsenal of power which can serve to strengthen, reinforce and win the battle. It is the Spirit of God, given to all who call on Him by faith, in Jesus Christ. He never fails, even when we fail Him, He is there to offer comfort and strength when the winds of change and war blow hard against us. This becomes our hope. He becomes our courage and our never failing source of strength. "
*******
Do you think that is a wonderful coincidence? Lucky? NO, I tell you it is God in His all powerful love for us, providing the strength we needed at that moment and for the moments beyond. Just having my son read it outloud for me to type is strengthening/comforting again - because our God, our Creator is in control of it all.
*****
That is how this blog was born and named - my sweet prince was very much a part of it as he was in my daily life for 23 blessed years - go give your spouse a special, loving squeeze and cherish them for as long as God allows you here on this earth.
******
Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh, how precious and encouraging to me as well. Thank you sooooooo much for sharing.