Verse of the Day

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4

Friday, December 30, 2011

Coping with grief....

Understanding Your Grief

Day 1

Grief is not an enemy or a sign of weakness. It is a sign of being human. Grief is the cost of loving someone.

Since grief comes to everyone, why do some people seem to work through it better than others?

"Some people think that going through the losses or crises of life are the exceptional times," says Dr. H. Norman Wright. "I see it differently. I see the times of calm as the exceptions. Life really is going through one loss after another, one crisis after another. "

Instead of avoiding talking about these times, let's do our homework. When you know what to expect, you're not thrown by them as much, and you're going to be better able to recover."

Join us each day for the next year as we walk with you on your journey through grief, strengthened and enabled through the Lord Jesus Christ.

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" (Isaiah 40:31).

Lord God, teach me to embrace my grief and not fight it, so that I may experience the true healing that comes from You. Amen.

*************~*~************








The above is the first of 365 emails that I will receive over the next 12 months - this will be my second time through this cycle. A friend of mine who is a widow herself directed me to this website about 2 months after my hubby passed away. I signed up for the emails and received one a day - they were very helpful - BUT let me say there were days I couldn't read them, I avoided them, I didn't like them some days, it was a constant reminder that I was a widow, I had a huge void, suffered a big loss, joined a "new" club. I began a "folder" for them and would move them into my Griefshare folder to read them when I could - I will admit though there were a few I just deleted. Sound childish? One thing to remember when dealing with a loss of a loved one, whether that be a spouse, a child, a parent - there is not right or wrong to grieving, there also is no calendar to it.








My Griefshare emails ended in 2010 and just recently I felt the need to receive them again, alot of people do this - because even though they are the same, repeated emails/devotions you will be a new level of healing each time. I don't feel the need to delete them, yet, ;) I have read the first one with new, more healed, spiritual eyes, that is from our Faithful Father.








If you or someone you know has experienced a loss of a loved one - no matter how long ago, direct them to this website or link.








direct your pastor to it as well - there are some churches who will actually have support groups and books to work through with you as well.








Sometimes it is hard to know how to comfort someone - send them a card with this website if it is difficult to bring it up verbally.








I can remember still the moment I awoke with JOY and not sadness - it was fleeting, but I clung to it and the Lord kept increasing it in measures. He is so faithful.




No comments: