Verse of the Day

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Word Geek



Yes, I am a "word geek" - - I love words, big words, small words, learning their meanings, origin, etc - that's why, on here sometimes you find I will focus on one and give you synonyms, etc.



In Junior High I had a super teacher (yes there are some in public school, back in the early 80's) he made English very interesting to me and I had already loved spelling and was adept, loved spelling bees, reading all books of any subject and just had a knack for it. After this teacher I was honored to have another super English/Literature teacher, this time a woman, she continued to encourage me and inspire me to love the language. Then again, in High School, another great teacher, Mr Thomas who just continued the love the others had ignited. While some people hated and truly were lost with diagramming sentences, knowing the difference between an adverb and an adjective - it made sense to me. Now, put an algebra formula in front of me and I'm lost, that was my brothers forte, mine was the English language - which truly is one of the hardest to learn because it does not make a lot of sense.


All this to say that the Lord has used this to love of words to help me find comfort at night. Nights are still my hardest, most difficult time of the day. As it gets dark, the children go to bed, quietness settles in, I go to my room and face loneliness. That was the time of day that was dearest to me because after everyone went to bed, and sometimes it was late as the teenager in the house liked to sit on our bed and chat and chat (which is a blessing to have such communication with your child!) - that was the time that hubby and I had alone and together and just a comfortable routine.


So how do words bring me comfort?


First in the Word of God, the Bible - reading it, writing it - I also journal. So writing helps me. Then there is the technology side of things - if still I cannot sleep or am just full of awake time, I play one of a few word games on my Ipod - Scrabble is my favorite, but I have a few others I will play also. When my opponent uses a word I don't recognize, I switch over to my Merriam-Webster application and look it up, I am still learning new words at 44 years of age!


I am thankful for the Lord giving me a love for words - especially His Word - my children call me a walking dictionary, I am continually being asked how to spell this or that - most of the time my answer is to look it up ;) making sure they know how to spell the first few letters of the word. I then have them write the date in the dictionary and their initials - it is fun to see their entries a few years later.


John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

Proverbs 7:1 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.


Proverbs 12:25 Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad.


John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

No comments: