Verse of the Day

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Unattainable Goals vs The ONE Attainable Goal

One of our messages a couple of weeks ago was on our Goal as we walk our Christian walk here on this earth. It was extremely thought provoking and promising, which brings comfort in today's world.

The word Goal was defined as:
a purpose, a terminal point of a race or journey


What are the goals in our lives? Do we think of earthly things....perhaps a career move, that perfect house in the perfect neighborhood, that woman/man that you know is unattainable.....perhaps because of your different faiths, location, family responsibility or another stumbling block that might be in the way. A large savings account, winning the lottery, that new boat.....(thinking Fireproof) Are we wasting our time, (God's time truly) by putting our focus on the unattainable.....are we focusing that OTHER persons attentions away from their goal? So much to think about and be examining of one's self. The world has many ways of getting our attention away from Christ and our true Goal.

2 Corinthians 5:9-10
Therefore we make it our aim whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Ephesians 5:8-11
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of the light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.

Philippians 3:8-14
Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.


I feel that I personally was not focused on that ONE attainable goal with all my heart, mind and soul over 9 weeks ago. Many distractions were in place, some pleasurable distractions, some not so pleasurable, but none the less, distractions from my one true, attainable goal, eternal life in Heaven with my Savior. I could easily put my children and husband first before God. That must not be.


We need to focus on the ONE attainable Goal, our eternal life with our Heavenly Father who created us. Stay focused on it, get into the Word, fellowship with the Body......keep your eyes on Jesus and resist the Devil and his forces. Without Christ we are nothing.....with Christ, all things are POSSIBLE. What a wonderful, wonderful promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh!! SO TRUE!! Thanks for calling
us to THE WORD on this subject
of Goal/Aim. "Count all things but
loss save Jesus Christ, your Lord."
Amen!! and Amen to your
thoughts as they are the thoughts
of God's Spirit through you!!!