A few weeks ago I had read that there was to be an old-fashioned barn dance held not too far from where we lived. It sounded like fun and a few days later we were with some friends and mentioned it to them. They had attended one before and said that it was a lot of fun and something we would enjoy. Hubby and I talked about it and decided that yes, put it on the calendar and we'd all go!
~*~*~*~*
Tonight was the night and we had all talked and decided that sense it was something Dad had planned on us doing we should try our best to see if we could go, honoring him in our hearts. We all got ready, the boys wore their cowboy hats like their Daddy and our girls looked very sweet as usual.....even little O'Deller came, wearing an old-fashioned dress her Mommy had made her.
~*~*~*~*
We arrived late, amidst quite a crowd. The first dance was in progress so we hung back to watch after we made our name tags and stuck them on ourselves. We made our way closer to some chairs and sat down.....no one sure who should make the first move to join in the group as we looked around at the many families. At the announcement for the next dance I grabbed two of my girls and we walked to the center of the group as the "caller" instructed us as to what to do......that's all it took and I couldn't keep any of the kids from joining dance after dance. They did jigs, square dances and strolls.....the band included a fiddle, bass, mandolin and guitar.....it was such a pleasurable atmosphere that you couldn't help but be pulled into the fun of it all.
~*~*~*~*
I wasn't too sure about going at the beginning and actually offered to watch the grand baby in hopes I could just stay behind here at home. But the Lord nudged me and helped a friend nudge me into going. Loneliness enveloped me on the drive there, giving me a huge lump in my throat and chest as I thought of how much my hubby would enjoy the evening......and once there the lump returned as I watched the parents pair off and dance with one another, knowing my time with my sweet prince here on earth was over. Then I was reminded what Paul had to say, to be content with whatever you may have, to be content with little, to be content with much. I have had my "much" with my hubby and I do treasure the 23 years we had together and I know he was with me in spirit and I want to still honor him and make him proud.
~*~*~*~*~*
I talked to a friend today and we discussed the fact that it is okay to not understand the why of this happening.....God knows we cannot fully comprehend His ways.....His ways are not our ways and we are to "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5&6
Difficult to do, yes, impossible, NO.
~*~*~*
on the way home we all talked about how Daddy would have enjoyed the evening and we all felt his presence among us and came home content with our change in plans ♥
2 comments:
Reading Your post make me charish my family more! I want to be a better Husband because of it!
Thanks
I am just finally getting time to sit quietly and read your story through your blog. I'm amazed at your strength. His spirit shines through you. <3
Post a Comment